Vitamins, Minerals, Muscles & Scoliosis

Our bodies need small amounts of essential nutrients in order to work properly.

Before I continue with the reason why I started this blog I wanted to explain the types of vitamins and minerals.

Fat Soluble and Water Soluble Vitamins:

Fat Soluble Vitamins
Fatty foods that contain fat soluble vitamins are:
Butter
Lard
Vegetable Oils
Dairy Foods
Liver
Oily Fish
Animal Fats
Vitamin A
Vitamin D
Vitamin E
Vitamin K

Our bodies need these vitamins daily to function properly. However, you don't need to eat foods containing them every day. Our bodies store vitamins in our liver and fatty tissues for future use. If you have more fat soluble vitamins than required, this would be harmful.

Water Soluble Vitamins
These vitamins are not stored in our bodies so we need them more frequently. Our bodies do not store water soluble vitamins we get rid of them when we urinate. These vitamins are not harmful.

Water Soluble Vitamins
Fruit
Vegetables
Grains
Vitamin B6
Vitamin B12
Vitamin C
Biotin
Folic Acid
Niacin
Pantothenic Acid
Riboflavin
Thiamin

Water Soluble vitamins can be destroyed by air and heat, they can also be lost in cooking, so don't over cook your vegetables like your Nan used to when you were a child! LOL. I would suggest steaming vegetables or eating raw, in fact we should all eat raw food every day (says Gillian McKeith!)

We need minerals also to function properly and they are found in the form of food.

Minerals
Meat
Cereals
Bread
Fish
Milk
Dairy Foods
Vegetables
Fruit
Dried Fruit
Nuts

Why do we need minerals?
We need minerals for:
Building strong bones and teeth
Controlling body fluids inside and outside cells
Turning the food we eat into energy

Essential Minerals
Calcium
Iron
Magnesium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sodium
Sulphur

We also require trace elements for our bodies to work, however, these are required in smaller amounts.

Trace Elements
Meat
Fish
Cereals
Milk
Dairy Foods
Vegetables
Nuts
Boron
Cobalt
Copper
Chromium
Fluoride
Iodine
Manganese
Molybdenum
Selenium
Silicon
Zinc

Now we know how much we need vitamins and minerals, a person with Scoliosis requires these vitamins and minerals even more so than the average person and it is of vital importance that we keep our bodies in tip top condition to help support our muscles that surround the spine.

I will now talk about how I have been feeling lately because this morning I started a new course of treatment, which is linked to vitamins and minerals. I don't want to talk about the product itself yet because I want to try and test it first and then I promise to share it with you :)

In order for me to recognise if this treatment is working I need to blog about how my body is right now and the pain I am experiencing and then compare how I am feeling in a week's time.

I have had a busy summer so far so I have been more active and this could also be playing a part in why I am feeling so stiff in the lumbar area. I noticed yesterday morning that I was having that "creaking gate" feeling again, where I struggle to stand and walk because it feels like I need oiling!

My hips are extremely sore and when I push on the side of hips it feels like I am bruised, almost like I have been through a round with a professional boxer, I have noticed I am bending forward towards the end of the day once more and leaning slightly to the left side, which obviously affects many other parts of my body and then I get radiating pain in various places throughout my body.

Getting in and out in the car today was not very pleasant and to be honest I was shocked at just how painful it was, after getting into the car I had to shut my eyes and breathe slowly in and out just to focus, I managed to drive without any problems (we have an automatic Audi A6) but again getting out was painful and I was glad to get home and get into the swimming pool for some relief.

I have not had Bowen for many weeks so I am thinking that I may need to go and have another session, however, I do want to start Yoga again and I cannot do Yoga when I am having Bowen treatments, so I am hoping this new treatment will help me and I can team with that Yoga!

I have had a course of my treatment this morning and now I have to do some more, I will report again how I am feeling in a week and hopefully I can have a pain free evening.

Signing off for now and speak soon

Simone xx

Popular posts from this blog

Posterior Asymmetry & Idiopathic Scoliosis

Ugly Betty star Wilhelmina has Scoliosis

Scoliosis in India